You can also make complaints to one of the industry-sponsored ombudsman schemes which handle complaints for services such as: banking, employment, public utilities like electricity and water, health insurance, public transport, superannuation, and telecommunications.
You can make complaints about the actions or decisions of State or Territory governments by contacting your State or Territory Government Ombudsman or equivalent office holder in your State or Territory.
People with complaints about ACT Government agencies can contact the Commonwealth Ombudsman who is also the ACT Ombudsman.
Considers and investigates complaints about ACT Government departments and agencies and the Australian Federal Police in its ACT Policing role.
Ground Floor, 1 Farrell Place
Canberra City ACT 2601
Telephone: 1300 362 072
Considers complaints about the following agencies and the people who work for them:
* NSW public sector agencies including government departments, statutory authorities, boards, area health services and the police.
* Local and county councils.
* Some private sector agencies and individuals who provide public services, private certifiers who sometimes perform certain local council functions and accreditation bodies for those private certifiers.
* Public and private sector agencies providing services for children including government and non-government schools, child care centres and agencies providing substitute residential care.
* Agencies providing community services who are funded, licensed or authorised by the NSW government, including licensed boarding houses and fee-for-service agencies.
580 George Street
Sydney NSW 2000
Telephone: 02 9286 1000
Investigates complaints about Northern Territory Government departments and statutory authorities.
Level 12, NT House
22 Mitchell Street
Darwin NT 0800
Telephone: 08 8999 1818
Ground Floor, Centepoint Building
Hartley Street (opposite the Diplomat Hotel)
Alice Springs NT 0870
Investigates complaints about Queensland State Government departments and bodies, and local councils.
53 Albert Street
Brisbane QLD 4000
Telephone: 07 3005 7000
Investigates complaints about the administrative actions of South Australian Government agencies and local government councils and reviews government agencies’ decisions about Freedom of Information.
50 Grenfell Street
Adelaide SA 5000
PO Box 3651
Rundle Mall SA 5000
Telephone: 08 8226 8699
Investigates complaints about the administrative actions of Tasmanian Government departments, local government councils, and a range of public authorities.
99 Bathurst Street
(GPO Box 960)
Hobart TAS 7000
Telephone: 03 6233 6217
Investigates administrative actions by Victorian Government departments or public statutory bodies, or by any member of staff of a municipal council.
Level 9, North Tower
459 Collins Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Telephone: 03 9613 6222
Investigates complaints about Western Australian Government agencies, statutory authorities, local governments and public universities.
Level 12, St Martin's Tower
44 St George's Terrace
Perth WA 6001
Telephone: 09 325 5000
LAST UPDATE 15-MAY-2010